filtering when racking/bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a quick question for all the expert brewmasters out there. On my last batch of beer i ended up with quite a bit of sediment in most of my bottles after a month or so and it is giving the beer an "off" taste. I notice that beers that i had a few weeks ago had a much better flavor, and lately i am noticing a yeasty taste in some of the bottles. i did leave that batch in the secondary for about 3 weeks when the recipe called for 2 weeks. I am curious if anyone has a good way to filter when moving from the primary to the secondary without introducing much oxygen to the brew. I am using a basic setup with a racking cane and tubing. Would moving the drew to a third stage fermenter help to further reduce the sediment? How about filtering while bottling?

or am i just over thinking this,

thanks

To filter you are gonna have to push the beer meaning CO2 or pump.

Try;

- Cold Crashing (take the beer to 32*F or near depending on gravity) for a couple days to a week to drop the yeast.

- Insinglass helps to drop yeast.

Of course, there is a risk of dropping too much yeast if bottle conditioning but no more than if you filtered.

Hhhmmmm, so maybe filtering is not the best idea for me right now. how about a third fermenter for a few days before bottling?

Hhhmmmm, so maybe filtering is not the best idea for me right now. how about a third fermenter for a few days before bottling?

Just keep it in secondary longer and, perhaps, cooler. If you can figure a way to store the beer cold and high, and rack without moving, that would be ideal.

When I rack, I will move the beer to it's high resting place and let it settle overnight before I siphon.

crash cool it if you need to.
and be more careful about racking and avoiding sediment.

also, you're not drinking it from the bottles, are you? homebrew needs to be drank from a glass (although one could argue certain hefeweizen's could be drank from the bottle).

Just keep it in secondary longer and, perhaps, cooler. If you can figure a way to store the beer cold and high, and rack without moving, that would be ideal.

When I rack, I will move the beer to it's high resting place and let it settle overnight before I siphon.

Good idea, i will try to find a place to store it where i can siphon from as well. when you say keep it cooler how cool are you talking? I usualy try to keep it around 65-70f when fermenting.

crash cool it if you need to.
and be more careful about racking and avoiding sediment.

also, you're not drinking it from the bottles, are you? homebrew needs to be drank from a glass (although one could argue certain hefeweizen's could be drank from the bottle).

I am not drinking from the bottles, i just was getting quite a bit of sediment in my bottles, maybe 1/2tsp or more at times. i was very careful not to pull the sediment when bottling, but still may have gotten a little bit.

Back