Brewing on an Island

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cymruboy

Reaction score
We have electric or propane as power on our island. I am asking should I go with an electric brew set up ? Anyone recommend a good one for a small start up. We are serving the local town which has year round about 4,000 residents ? Tourists bring us to 20,000 in the Summer months.

Any advice welcomed. Dan

I am not sure about where you live, but for me, power is far too expensive so I use propane for the wort. Another thing you need to hammer out is fermentation temperature control. I am using a chest freezer with external thermostat (johnson controls) and it doesn't take much power. How much beer are you talking about producing? Are you setting up a microbrew?

I know nothing about commercial brewing equipment, but I'm curious about the venture. What country is your island in? How much beer are you looking to brew? Will this be served on premises, bottled, canned, kegged and distributed through bars? Do you have an existing business you're adding on to?

You make a good point about the power cost. Right now we make 10 gallon batches for the locals but want to step up to a more robust system. being on an island we have to watch water quality and waste water issues as well.

USA: Hilton Head. Starting a small nano brewery and working on the business plan. The hardest part is the projections and set up costs. I am leaning towards electric for many reasons. environmental issues come into play on the island so we have to keep the operation simple and clean.

You could probably find a 1 BBL system, in fact, I think there may be one for sale here and they may be in SC. As for electric/gas, I would go electric. You're in SC, electricity isn't going to be cost prohibitive really. Using propane will add to the costs due to needing to ensure proper ventilation.

Good luck. I've always wanted to go to HH.

The key in your case would be to decide on scale. For a venture such as this - no question, electric is the only way. As for size, you know the market. I have a friend that runs a small brewery, as in one man show. He started with a 1bbl and after 1 year just upgraded to a 6bbl system. If you go for a 1 bbl, just don't get caught up in the brite and shiny equipment trap. Just get what will work for you because it's hard to be profitable with 1 bbl setups, so if you are right this equipment only needs to last for a short time. Best to build in an equipment upgrade to your business plan, especially if you are seeking financing.

I am not sure about where you live, but for me, power is far too expensive so I use propane for the wort. Another thing you need to hammer out is fermentation temperature control. I am using a chest freezer with external thermostat (johnson controls) and it doesn't take much power. How much beer are you talking about producing? Are you setting up a microbrew?

From most of what I have read, the electric Brewers cost per batch is a heck of a lot cheaper than propane. It's not the same as using that expensive old heater or hair dryer. It's submersed in liquid. So it's very efficient.

If you're not already, you should be hanging out over at probrewer.com reading everything you can. Ask your questions there to the people that have already done what you're planning, some successfully, some not. You'll likely get more honest and useful feedback than you'll find among the bunch of carefree hobby brewers here that have never put their own skin in this game.

Thanks . I really appreciate your advice about size. have to be careful we don't underplan for equipment.

It sounds like the "Brewers Association Guide to Starting Your Own Brewery" should go on your required reading list, if it is not there already.

Man hours will not be all that different whether you are brewing on a 1 barrel or 15 barrel system. Product yield will be hugely different, and with that potential profit. It is not hard to find stories of breweries that planned their way right into non-profitability with too small a system. This site is dedicated to a hobby, for which the main economic question usually is "How much will it cost in my relationship with my S.O. if they figure out what I spent on this?" Running a business is a whole different ball game.

Back