Another Basement Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if I missed it earlier but I'm curious what outlets and plugs you used for your heating elements. I'm building now and don't like the big bulky options I see others using.

I used the Blichmann Boil Coils and the cords that were supplied with those.

The receptacles are Leviton 2620 (http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=2620&section=40369&minisite=10251)

The realty of 240V is that it is bulky due to the required separation, although i don't find the Blichmann plugs or Leviton receptacles to be overkill.

Great build thread, thank you for all the detailed info. It really helps as I think about how to move towards electric/HERMS.

This is quite the gray area. I am in reality venting either through the washer stack pipe, or the air admittance valve i put on the sink drain. This "works" but an inspector might disagree that its kosher. Washer stand pipes have special exceptions with their venting since they deal with "gray" water and are naturally open to the atmosphere. A new house would likely have venting included, but this house was built in '73, before such standards were common and when they still used aluminum wire (f me).

There is a p-trap beneath the floor. After that i assume that then connects to the main drain line and is thus vented through one of the other drains.

So far no issues with drainage or sewer gas.

Where are you getting the make-up air in this space? Code states that make up air opening must be not less that ventilation opening. Can you detail this it bc at fist glance you appear to be in violation.

Where are you getting the make-up air in this space? Code states that make up air opening must be not less that ventilation opening. Can you detail this it bc at fist glance you appear to be in violation.

I have several windows in my basement. I usually open one and leave the door to the upstairs open. After some incremental tests I've determined this is sufficient for now.

I looked into adding another inlet but in the end decided that it would be easier and cheaper to just open the window.

I am currently working on a concept for improved ventilation that works by integrating the ventilation and make-up air directly into the lid of the pot. I currently have a small amount of moisture and odors that don't get vented out that my wife takes exception to.

This is exactly what we used at a chemical company I used to work for. I can see using that ss bowl and building your own vent.
IMG_4730.jpg

I’ve been brewing with it for a few months and it works awesome!
I just did my first brew with the same condenser assembly. I'm curious - have you measured how much it changed your boil-off rate, and how have you adjusted your starting volumes? Thanks!

I just did my first brew with the same condenser assembly. I'm curious - have you measured how much it changed your boil-off rate, and how have you adjusted your starting volumes? Thanks!

I did a couple of tests with just water and ended up with running the element at 50% and a boil off rate of 1 gal per hour. It's a big change from running my system without the condenser.

Back