Beersmith adjust to my system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
My first two all grain recipes I nailed all the number exactly as expected in Beersmith.

The last two not so much. I have been .5g short on expected boiling volume and my pre boil gravity has been 10pts high. What gives?

In my equipment profile what should I adjust?

Sounds like you boiled off a little bit more this time.. If it were my setup, I'd try another batch before changing settings in the profile.

No my boil off has been constant. I'm going into the boil with less. That's what doesn't make sense. In loosing it in the mash.

Could you have unchecked the box in the mash profile that says "account for deadspace"?

JohnnyO said:
Could you have unchecked the box in the mash profile that says "account for deadspace"?

I don't think so I double checked over that stuff. But I'll check gain after work because it seems logical.

It's really weird because each time my expected water into boil kettle should be 6.5. First two batches I was spot on but the last two I have been at about 6g so 1/2 a gallon short which is also probably why my expected og is high.

Can certain grain absorb more water?

If you change the consistency of the crushed grain bill it absorbs water differently. Some people like a thicker mash (thick oatmeal) and others like a thinner mash (runny grits). These consistencies are achieved by crushing the grain and adding water. Both grain and water measurements affect the final product.

Just imagine pouring a gallon if water into the sand vs a pile of rocks. One absorbs the liquid better than the other...

dbreienrk1 said:
If you change the consistency of the crushed grain bill it absorbs water differently. Some people like a thicker mash (thick oatmeal) and others like a thinner mash (runny grits). These consistencies are achieved by crushing the grain and adding water. Both grain and water measurements affect the final product.

Just imagine pouring a gallon if water into the sand vs a pile of rocks. One absorbs the liquid better than the other...

So for my lhbs crush it is absorbing more causing me to get less water into the boil kettle.

What should I adjust the numbers to in in beer smith to account for this? They are absorbing about 1/2g more.

Change your system parameters. I don't use beersmith, but there has to be way to adjust absorption measurements and equipment loss factors.

Just a quick update. Had to have been a change in my stores crush that caused more water absorption by the grains.

I added .50 to boil kettle as my top up and hit all my numbers within .1.

Great brew day!

Latest posts

Back