to pump or not to pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
S. I am nearly ready to begin building my brew stand, and I'm trying to decid between a 3 tier gravity opeated set up, or a single tier pump driven system. As of now I'm leaning towards the single tier, but I would like to hear your input about the various ways to set up a system, and why you would take one over the other

Well there are advantages to both, cost, ease of use, ability to do multiple batches. Hmmm we still ponder the level, when really that should be the easy question. The hard question is to go gas or electric, or both. What is your budget? I mean w/ $400 you can go all gravity and transfer by hand. For $3400 you can go single tier 2 pumps, automate the damn thing, and add a little fermentation. Electric gas and beyond.

I have been designing a few systems lately for people and I have discovered that everybody has a different need. What is yours? Go with what you want and what fits your budget. Or just go w/ what’s cool. But if you lean toward what fits your needs then your on target and none of us know what your needs are. I like the 3 tier gravity, pump driven, single grant systems myself. But that’s just me. Major advantages over the others, some drawbacks (I think).
Good luck on your build
Jay

Well I am limited a little on heaight, and the cost is not a concern to me, full automation is not a necessity, infact i prefer to be a little more hands on with what I'm brewing. Everything will be gas run. I guess I'm leaning to the single tier a bit more b/c it's my understanding that it's a bit easier to make a HERMS that way.

Single tier is better for the herms conversion you are going to want to do in 6 months.

Back