Did I Screw up my Maple Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjai

Reaction score
I already started brewing this last week when I noticed the recipe called for caramelized pumpkin at @60. It was far too late for me to run to the store and bake it. I decided I'll just add it to secondary. Will this really screw up my beer or will it just be less pumpkiny flavour?

Maybe I've just missed this, but I've never heard of someone adding pumpkin to the secondary. It's always either in the mash or the boil. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm just not sure it would taste so good. Do what you do, and let us know how it comes out.

Just pumpkin spice it and be done with it. There's a lot of debate as to whether or not pumpkin actually adds any real flavor anyway. I always put pumpkin in mine, because I feel guilty calling it a pumpkin ale without it, but there's a lot of people who'll tell me (and you) you're wasting your time.

Just pumpkin spice it and be done with it. There's a lot of debate as to whether or not pumpkin actually adds any real flavor anyway. I always put pumpkin in mine, because I feel guilty calling it a pumpkin ale without it, but there's a lot of people who'll tell me (and you) you're wasting your time.

Yeah, there are a lot of good recipes that don't even include pumpkin, but instead just pumpkin pie spices. Jamil has one in his book I think.

I have a "pumpkin spice" ale fermenting right now. I didn't use any pumpkin. With the right combonation of spices i used, it smells like a pumpkin pie. I'm really looking forward to it.

That being said, if you put the pumpkin in the secondary, you'll probably make a huge mess when you rack it out of there and most definitely lose a noticable volume of beer.

Back