When to serve accidental sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinsu

Reaction score
I was brewing a wheat doppelbock in early May and experimenting with keeping the lid loose to get some effects of open fermentation. At the end of primary fermentation the beer got infected but I decided to stick it out and see what came of it. I transferred it to secondary and a pectile formed then went away after a bit, I think around Memorial Day. Now the beer smells and tastes pleasant with just a bit of sourness. I was just wondering whether I should keg this up soon and serve it, age it longer, or bottle it and let it sit for a few months. I don't know how long is best to age these things.

Also, if this turns out tasting good, what would be the best way to repeat? I guess I could always pour a pint or two of the old beer in the next batch.

if you want to repeat save some of the beer and use it to seed your next batch.

well since you used an active bacteria to sour your beer the sourness is going to increase with time to a point. i would drink this brew fast.

Back