head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxywashere

Reaction score
hi,
ive recently started brewing, and im about to start my second batch, first batch turned out fine, but a bit dissapointed with the head on the pint. i was wondering if anyone had used those products that improve the head on the beer, and if so howd it turn out?
cheers
dave

How long did you let your bottles carbonate? There is a great thread around here (can't seem to find it), where a member demonstrates the effect of time and carbonation. Beer really doesn't hit its carbonation peak until after 21 days. If your beer is not properly carbed, the C02 won't be able to even create a head.

Other than that, there is the obligatory "hand wash your glass in cold water". Soap residue left from dishwashers will instantly kill the loftiest foam.

Also, if you are doing extract, you might be suffering from lack of proteins. You could try steeping .5 lbs of carafoam or similar "foam enhancing" malt.

research malto dextrin, to my understanding a long strain of proteins that help form head

more protein = more head. Maltodextrin is a mix of long chain carbohydrates and adds body/mouthfeel. It still may help out a little with the head.

I found this on the web:
The maltodextrin with a dextrose equivalent (DE) of 19 was found to produce fine emulsion droplets ranging from 0.5 to 1.0 micrometres with both triglyceride oil or orange oil.

This would therefore be indirectly affecting head formation by emulisifying any head robbing oils in the beers. I've messed a little with emulsifiers and they do improve the head

Back