How to store sour barrel between bottling and brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Dub

Reaction score
I am hoping to bottle some 30 gallons of a 60 gallon barrel and store the other 30 gallons. Should lady luck, aka my wife, be on my side this could happen this week.

The barrel will then be stored until next week when I plan to brew into it. Not my first choice, but the most family friendly.

Only looking to inhibit mold growth my plan is to rinse the barrel with hot water via an outside hose, let it drip dry for half a day and burn a sulfur wick.

The following week 30 gallons of beer goes in the barrel for fermentation. Followed by topping of the previously held back 30 gallons from the original brew when the foam settles a bit.

Any other ideas that meet the goal of holding back the mold for a week or so?

Happy brewing,

BW

If you are reading this you are not at the 2011 NHC. Me either, maybe next year.

If you are looking for some help with bottling and brewing I could help out as well. I've been meaning to call ya but some crazy **** has been going down here.

Brewed an all brett APA today. 2 malts, 1 hop and Brett A.

Let me know if you want or need help, I can bring a 43 point sour and let you try it.

Back