Separate hot breaks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltyPython

Reaction score
Hi all, I have question about conducting separate hot breaks.

I'll be more specific: I have one 8gal pot that I use both for mashing and for the boil. I like using this pot because I have a screen installed in this pot and at the end of the boil I can simply open the valve in the bottom and pass the hot wort through a counterflow chiller without having to worry about hops leaves.

The approach I adopted this far was:
* Mash and collect first runnings in a bucket.
* Batch sparge for 10/20 minutes and add to the bucket.
* Clean the 8gal pot from spent grains
* Siphon the wort back in the pot and do the boil

Lately though I had decided to do the following to speed up things:
* Mash and collect first runnings in a 4gal pot. Start boil right away.
* Batch Sparge and collect in a second 4gal pot.
* While the two pots do a separate hot break I clean up the 8gal pot
* After the hot break has happened in both pots, siphon everything in the bigger pot and start the extraction.

This approach saves me more than an hour, which is good, but I was wondering if anyone sees any problems with this: maybe worse hot-breaks and cloudier beers?

I don't know why that would matter, especially if you are adding hops once you transfer to the larger kettle. I'd be happy you figured out a way to decrease time spent brewing! :mug:

Totally happy about reducing the time spent waiting for the boil to happen :):) I was just wondering if that could cause unexpected results. I can update the thread now that I have done separate hot breaks twice: and both times the beer came just as good as usual (delicious if you ask me, but I MAY be biased)

Latest posts

Back