Borosilicate Flask heat/cool question for yeast starters.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hello.

Just got a giant 5 liter borosilicate flask and stirplate for making starters. I know these are heat resistant and I can boil the starter wort in it on top of my gas stove. However, my question comes in the chilling of the wort / flask. Can I just remove the flask from the heat and place directly into my sink filled with cold water like I do with my starter wort made in a standard kitchen pot? (foolishly tried that with a glass growler one time...with bad results...)

I definitely don't wanna break this bad boy! It should be a lot better and more sanitary than making starters in my ale pail....!
I brew 26 gallon batches, so I usually have around a gallon starter, with a step up or two.

Also, any yeast starter tips for a stirplate would be appreciated! I have always done the manual shaking method before in a standard growler.

Thanks!!! :mug:

Yes, one of the advantages of the Erlenmeyer flask is that you can boil in it, chill in it, etc. I have one starter ready to pitch this afternoon.

I bought a stirplate from stirstarters.com (a vendor here) and it worked better than I ever dreamed! I was a growler shaker myself before that.

Yes, one of the advantages of the Erlenmeyer flask is that you can boil in it, chill in it, etc. I have one starter ready to pitch this afternoon.

I bought a stirplate from stirstarters.com (a vendor here) and it worked better than I ever dreamed! I was a growler shaker myself before that.

I just bought one last night! I am excited to hear it works great. i feel like we just bonded. :confused: :tank:

Agree. You want to let the bottom of the flask cool to the temp of the wort at minimum. I leave it sit on the stove for 5 minutes, then into cold water, then add ice to the water. Swirl the flask.

Thanks for the advice, all. I was a little concerned about going directly from the heat to the water.

I am excited to try the flask / stirplate!

Agree. You want to let the bottom of the flask cool to the temp of the wort at minimum. I leave it sit on the stove for 5 minutes, then into cold water, then add ice to the water. Swirl the flask.

Just a question are you bobby from NJ that makes those youtube videos?

Latest posts

Back