Generic epsom salt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to use this:

epsom_salts.jpg
, instead of the stuff the homebrew shops sell for $4 per 2 oz? You get 4 lbs at CVS for the same price.

This brand says it's Magnesium Sulfate USP, 100% natural mineral, and it's food grade (for use as a (gulp) laxative).

Edit: Product Link

Is there any reason not to use this:

epsom_salts.jpg
, instead of the stuff the homebrew shops sell for $4 per 2 oz? You get 4 lbs at CVS for the same price.

This brand says it's Magnesium Sulfate USP, 100% natural mineral, and it's food grade (for use as a (gulp) laxative).

Edit: Product Link

Nope that stuff is good. With gypsum the hbs sell it for like 50cents an oz or something and you can get a 40lb bad at lowes for like $5

Yeah that is good. It is what I use. Be careful with it. I've read that this mineral should be one of the last ones used to adjust water. Don't use it unless you have to. I can't recall why but I believe Dave Line(old brewer from the '80's) book talks about it. Charlie

Be careful with it. I've read that this mineral should be one of the last ones used to adjust water. Don't use it unless you have to. I can't recall why but I believe Dave Line(old brewer from the '80's) book talks about it.
Just a stab but here's my guess: You only need tiny amounts of Magnesium in your water and it's mainly for the yeast. Any hardness contribution from Mg could be more effectively done with Calcium. So most people would use CaSO4 (Gypsum) instead.

The Cl:SO4 ratio is something that Palmer and others mention in their books. High Cl:SO4 ratio is better for fullness/maltyness and low Cl:SO4 ratio is better for crispness/bitterness. So when adding Calcium you can adjust this ratio by using both Gypsum and CaCl in whatever amounts needed to achieve your goal. Then if you need some Mg you can use Epsom (but then you'd probably change your Gypsum:CaCl ratio so your Cl:SO4 ratio stayed the same).

The only time I use Epsom is when I need tiny amounts of Mg (in really light brews where I've cut the water with so much Distilled that I need to add some back).

Ray Daniels in his book suggests using tiny amount of Epsom Salt together with gypsum for water burtonization.

Thanks everyone. I have a feeling the box I bought will last many, many years :)

Just what I wanted to know.. I didn't want to place an order and pay shipping for this one item.
I need the Magnesium as my tap water only has 2-3 ppm.

I don't really need to resurrect this thread but was proud of myself for using the search function.... :)

Next on my list is Calcium Chloride. I have Gypsum and Calcium Carbonate but think I may need Calcium Chloride for my lighter beers. I am going to try the pharmacy or health store.

Hate to order just one item and pay shipping.

PS: Bobby, I watched your video on the ezwatercalculator and think our waters are pretty similar. Great video and spreadsheet!

water burtonization.

That's not a real word and even as it stands it really doesn't have any meaning. Are you trying to replicate Burton-upon trent's water? Or just replicating "burton salts" which is almost never the correct thing to blindly add to your water.

I bought some today, it says it's pure mag sulfate, no additives, but it has a slight perfumey smell. What's up with that?

My bag of Epsom was marked as 100% food grade, no fragrance.
It did have a "flowery" smell when I stuck my nose in the sack.
I believe it could simply be cross contamination in the factory.
The same thing can happen with mint, so to avoid taint, it is normally isolated from other non mint products made at the same facility.
I used the Epsom regardless, could not find a trace of the perfume smell in the finished beer.

Latest posts

Back