Nov. 2010 BYO Magazine Barleywine Recipe SWAP - Ready 11-11-2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVegas

Reaction score
On page 39 of the November 2010 Brew Your Own magazine, see the Phillips Brewery Burley Wine clone - 5 gallons. I'm brewing this all-grain and would like to compare to others brewing the same recipe all-grain or extract w/ grains. Here are the recipes:

ALL-GRAIN:

OG = 1.085
FG = 1.013
IBU = 18 SRM = 25 ABV = 9.2%

16.5 lbs pale malt
1 lb 3 oz crystal malt
3.5 oz chocolate malt
3.5 AAU Cascade hops (90 mins)
(.71 oz of 5% Alpha Acids)
4.4 AAU Cascade hops (10 mins)
(.88 oz of 5% Alpha Acids)
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or
White Labs WLP013 (London Ale) yeast

Mash at 156 F for 1 hour and collect enough wort for 90-minute boil. Boil wort for 90 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. Phillips instructs brewers to "Oxygenate the hell out of it." (Indeed, to get the high degree of krausen might be a good thing. Adding yeast nutrients might not be a bad idea either.) Ferment at 70 F.

EXTRACT W/ GRAINS:

OG = 1.085
FG = 1.013
IBU = 18 SRM = 26 ABV = 9.3%

1 lb 3 oz crystal malt
3.5 oz chocolate malt
3.5 lbs Mutons Light DME
6.6 lbs Mutons Light LME (late addition)
3.3 AAU Cascade hops (90 mins)
(.71 oz 5% Alpha Acids)
4.4 AAU Cascade hops (10 mins)
(.88 oz 5% Alpha Acids)
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or
White Labs WLP013 (London Ale) yeast

Steep crushed grains at 156 F for 45 mins in 3.3 qts. of liquid. Rinse grains with 3.3 qts. of water at 170 F. Add water to the "grain tea" to make at least 4.0 gallons. Stir in DME and bring wort to a boil. Once boiling, add buttering hops and boil for 90 mins. Add remaining hops at times indicated. Stir LME into wort during the final 5 mins of boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Top wort up to 5.0 gallons, if needed, and aerate well. Pitch yeast and ferment at 70 F.

So, here is the starting post. I'm hopeful that others will brew the same recipe and share their thoughts, experiences and comments, and trade brews, too!

This should be ready for drinking by 11-11-2011.

Cheers! :mug:

Have you drank this beer before? Is it super malty? Because the bittering hops and IBU are really low. So low in fact that I was sure that you mistranscribed the recipe so I cracked the magazine and there it was. I have never used such a small amount of AAU in any beer, much less a huge beer like a barleywine. I'd even email BYO to make sure they didn't make an printing error before brewing.

No, I haven't tried it before but am looking forward to it. Looking at the other recipes on the BYO page, this had an easier grain bill for a Barleywine. Hopefully the 1.5+ oz will be sufficient. Maybe others can try varying amounts of hops to compare.

EDIT: After rereading the article, lesser hops characterize and English Barleywine while hoppier characterizes American style Barleywine. I've got two ounces of 6% Cascade, so I may use it all.

Back