Questions from today's brew session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caberle

Reaction score
I've been jumping into AG brewing via an electric system and really like it so far, but had a few questions / thoughts that came up while brewing today. Looking for some quick advise. I think they are pretty quick questions that will not have much dabate, but I'm rather new so we will see.

1. Using corny keys to store PDW and Star San till next brew session (month or so). I understand that Star San is only good at a certian pH. Any adverse affects on the corny keys?

2. When I reheat the stored PDW mixture with HLT heater element, is there anything to be worried about?

3. I use a Hop bag in brew kettle so is it fine just to use it to filter mush tun runnings? Is it bad to boil with whatever makes it thru the bazooka screen and sits in the hop bag for the duration of the boil?

4. Is it a bad thing to have spashing, thus some areation when draining the mash tun into the Brew kettle?

Ok and for those that made it this far, how many have ever forgot to put the bazooka tube or other straining mechanism in before filling with strike water and grain? My guess is I'll oly do that once... OUCH that water is hot!!! (managed to tip the cooler far enough to just get the tips of my fingers in it when turning it on, after realizing my pain threshold was a bit low for sticking my whole hand in it for serveral attempts) :eek:

I can answer #4: Don't worry about it, it's no problem.

I don't have any firsthand experience with the other three, but I'm sure someone who does will jump in soon.

Latest posts

Back