Foam Settling Boil for Extract Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
One of the local professional brewers here recommends using a "foam settling boil" prior to adding hops. I used this technique yesterday for a 3 gallon boil in a 5 gallon pot and did not get hardly an ounce of foam. I usually have to add a drop or two of D-150 to prevent boil-overs, but not this time. The technique for my recipe was steeping grains at 165 for 20 min, off heat, add and stir in extract, slowly raise heat till a "light" boil is reached for 5 minutes, then begin the hard boil and add the hops and begin timing. Got a vigorous boil and the surface looked like I had already added the de-foamer.

just curious but why would you want to steap at 165? that seems somewhat warm and your going to get alot of unfermentable sugars and dextrins. If thats what your looking for by all means.....i would stick with a spray bottle of water to keep foam at bay or use defoamer.

Back