Is this a good kettle for the $$$$???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not the best deal but decent. there are other less expensive alternatives out there that you could also look into. Also it is very helpful to have a valve at the bottom of the pot when dealing with 15+ gallons.

Looks pretty good to me. It seems very similar in construction to these.

The 80 qt on that waresdirect site is in the same class as the 75qt you found. You might check total cost with shipping to decide. Both of those are on the short and squat side, but many people like that. I prefer a taller and narrower kettle, but I don't think one configuration is necessarily better than the other.

not the best deal but decent. there are other less expensive alternatives out there that you could also look into. Also it is very helpful to have a valve at the bottom of the pot when dealing with 15+ gallons.

Less expensive stainless alternatives? With a thick bottom?

I agree he should get couplings welded in for a valve and thermometer, or drill holes and use weldless fittings.

18/8 vs 18/10, all seem to be 1.2mm except the cheapest chinese crap. The link you provided shows $19.22 shipping, making it a bit more but a push overall.
I can handle the drilling with weldless fittings, but I also have friends who weld so either would only cost me a 12pack. Plus it's large enough I won't have to upgrade again in 6 months.

That deal is OK. I have put together two keggles for under 160 bucks though. You should try to find a deal on some kegs, more bang for your buck.

My 6 gallon HLT is weldless and was done in my basement with tools of course, but while I was watching Stargate and drinking HB. I am pretty handy so I would say that even if you aren't handy, as long as you were sober and not distracted you would be fine.

:tank:

Latest posts

Back