Getting yeast from a Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I am on my second batch with the new conical and was wondering how conical owners harvest there yeast. My first try did not go so good as most of the yeast got blown out of the blow off tube with American aleII. I have 1056 in there now and want to re coupe some of this for my next batch.

DSCF0417.jpg

There should still be tons of yeast in there, blow-off is mostly proteins and that sort of thing. I'd just wait until the fermentation's done, then dump the yeast/trub mixture and wash it like you normally would. Alternately, you could (in the future, with excellent sanitation) put the wort in without pitching the yeast, let the trub settle, then dump the trub, then pitch the yeast. After that you could just dump the yeast and need minimal, if any, washing to harvest. Your sanitation would have to be immaculate though, as you'd have un-inoculated wort witting out.

Back