What to do when a krausen doesn't fall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
I made a gallon batch of IPA with harvested Pacman about two weeks ago. It was a great move; since I used a clear gallon wine bottle as a fermenter, I've been able to watch the yeast do its thing for the first time (I've previously only used buckets).

However, it's been two weeks at this point, and the krausen still hasn't fallen completely, even though every time I check on it I see nice big yeast clumps drifting lazily down through the beer.

Do I let this one sit until the krausen has fallen completely? Is the lack of a fallen krausen an indication of anything in particular, or does it just happen sometimes that a krausen won't fall?

I made a gallon batch of IPA with harvested Pacman about two weeks ago. It was a great move; since I used a clear gallon wine bottle as a fermenter, I've been able to watch the yeast do its thing for the first time (I've previously only used buckets).

However, it's been two weeks at this point, and the krausen still hasn't fallen completely, even though every time I check on it I see nice big yeast clumps drifting lazily down through the beer.

Do I let this one sit until the krausen has fallen completely? Is the lack of a fallen krausen an indication of anything in particular, or does it just happen sometimes that a krausen won't fall?

Most times Krausen will fall. Sometimes it won't. Take a hydrometer reading to determine the gravity of the beer. If you're reading goes unchanged for three days, move forward accordingly.

Drink on, my friend!

Sometimes Krausen will fall, sometimes not. Especially in a small environment like a 1G jug, I've seen proportionally large krausen layers compared to 6G carboys.

Either way, siphon out carefully and enjoy!

I just made a couple beers with Pacman as well and noticed that a nice creamy layer of yeast stays on top for quite some time. Like others, don't worry about it. When it's done and you are ready to rack it, do so.

Back