Not enough Hop aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
I made an extract batch of Ed's Haus Pale Ale. I think it is delicious but there were two things I noticed were different about mine than the others I have seen.

I ended up with a slightly higher OG and FG (.001 higher) and darker color. This isnt a problem, but I guessed I must have either had too much Crystal 10L (I bought 8oz, but there might have been more since I didnt weigh it) or I steeped longer.

The other issue is that I would like to see more hop aroma. Should I adjust my hop additions? I did 1oz 60min, .5oz 30 min, .25 oz at 15 and 5 min.

Should I save .5oz for the last 5 minutes and do .25oz at 30? Maybe consider dry hopping?

Dry hopping will help, you could move some more to the last 20 minutes to get more flavor and aroma. I would just dry hop with a .25oz. That way you aren't really changing the flavor and recipe an extreme amount.

Extract tends to give you a slightly higher FG and slightly darker color. So, that may be where you got that. The 30 minute addition is kind of a waist. Your not getting the full bitterness or flavor. I would put that in at flame out or dry hop with it.

Extract tends to give you a slightly higher FG and slightly darker color. So, that may be where you got that. The 30 minute addition is kind of a waist. Your not getting the full bitterness or flavor. I would put that in at flame out or dry hop with it.

I'm not sure why you think a 30 minute hop addition is a waste. There are many outstanding recipes that call for a 30 minute addition. The reason you add the hops at different times is to get the complexity of the flavor from the hops, not just bittering or flavoring.

I'm not sure why you think a 30 minute hop addition is a waste. There are many outstanding recipes that call for a 30 minute addition. The reason you add the hops at different times is to get the complexity of the flavor from the hops, not just bittering or flavoring.

nono... he said a 30 minute hop addition is a waist.

Because it's in the middle.

30 minute addition... 60 minute boil... middle...

I crack myself up.

I doubt you get any aroma out of 30 minute addition. I don't think I get any from 15 minutes.

I just don't think you are using the hop to it's full potential. You are not going to get all the bittering it has to offer and your going to boil off some of the flavor. Just my opinion.

I doubt you get any aroma out of 30 minute addition. I don't think I get any from 15 minutes.

I just don't think you are using the hop to it's full potential. You are not going to get all the bittering it has to offer and your going to boil off some of the flavor. Just my opinion.

And you have the right to your opinion. But, IMO, if you are only adding hops at 60 minutes and at flameout, especially for recipes like pale ales, your beer is suffering.

Back