Hops at flame out AND dry hop??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
Does anyone add hops at flame out along with dry hopping?

I'm putting together an APA and I want some different hop flavors. I know this subject may have been beaten to death in the past, but I can't seem to find any real answers on what the differences are..

For my flame out addition I'm just going with Cascade, but for the dry hopping I'd like to use simcoe (i love them).

Any insight is much appreciated.

For APA and IPA it is pretty common to toss in hops at flameout and then later in 2ndry as a dry hop. I have done this many times. The flameout and dry hops will both contribute to the nose/aroma nicely. In fact, Yooper's posted recipe for her house Pale Ale illustrates this, except that she uses Cascade hops across the board. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/

Good luck.

I also aroma at flame out and dry hop in secondary for an APA and I always use whole or plug Cascades for this. I feel that I get a much fresher aroma over pellets.

if you like hops go for it. I go with all centennial for a 2 Heart clone, 5 oz total incl one for dryhopping 5gal

thanks..

I'd like to get some whole leaf hops but my LHBS has a very limited selection of those- most of theirs are in pellet form.

I switched my recipe around a bit and decided I'm going to dry hop with both cascade and simcoe, hoping the cascade will balance the simcoe nicely. I say that now but whenever I'm putting together a new recipe I think I switch it around about 10 times before pulling the trigger...i'm sure a lot of you are like that too..

they say 5mins and less additions are for aroma, but i think you there more flavor additions. you get much more flavor from them than aroma

In my opinion, flame out hops are a waste of hops IF you plan on dry hopping.

I've been leaning more in this direction. If I plan on dry hopping, I will back off on the 5 min. or less additions. Personally, for an APA I would skip the dry hops and go with a flameout addition (or hopback). IPA get the dry hops

I went to a talk on East vs West Coast IPA's given by two large craft brewers. They both said they really loaded up on the flavor hops additions, not the aroma - that is what dry hopping is for.

I switched my recipe around a bit and decided I'm going to dry hop with both cascade and simcoe, hoping the cascade will balance the simcoe nicely. I say that now but whenever I'm putting together a new recipe I think I switch it around about 10 times before pulling the trigger...i'm sure a lot of you are like that too..

I dry hop my IIPA with even amounts of cascade, simcoe and willamette and it comes out amazing.

Back