When racking to secondary.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
Is it ok to take the top off of the primary fermentor and put the sanitized hydrometor into the brew? Or will it get infected? Is there a better method of taking a gravity reading?

My favorite way is to sanitize a turkey baster, and take out enough for a sample. check the sg, and if it's done, then go ahead and rack. I've done other things, like trying to put the siphon tubing in, etc, but the old turkey baster works the best for me.

You can just drop the hydro into the primary, but I find that it makes it very difficult to get an accurate reading. Just use a [beer]thief that comes with most kits, or as Yoop said, use a turkey baster

Cool.. thanks for the avice. Ill be bottling my Stout in a couple of weeks. It'll be in the bottles for a few weeks, then ill post the results once its been tasted. I cant wait!!!

Yooper Chick said:
My favorite way is to sanitize a turkey baster, and take out enough for a sample. check the sg, and if it's done, then go ahead and rack.
Genius! I would never have thought of that.

I'm off to get me a turkey baster.

Back