What the heck IS this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilMills

Reaction score
I'm on my 6th batch of homebrew - a pumpkin ale - and think I may have my first contaminated batch.

It's kind of a cloudy light mass in every bottle, pretty floaty. I've attached pics in case anybody can tell me what's going on here. it tasted good at bottling about 2 weeks ago but i haven't gotten up the guts to crack one open yet. :mad:

help!
DSC_1691.jpg

DSC_1692.jpg

DSC_1694.jpg

DSC_1693.jpg

Did you use pumpkin in your beer or just spices? It looks to me like pumpkin, the batch I did last year looked like that cause I left the pumpkin in the primary.

Looks like trub. I would definitely put in fridge for a few days and then skim and drink the clear stuff.

damn near impossible to get all the pumpkin out of pumpkin beer unless you pump it through a filter. let settle in fridge a few days and pour carefully

Yes, I used real pumpkin. 6 pounds or so in the boil but I strained it through the grain bag on the way into the primary and was pretty sure I did a decent job on leaving the trub behind when I transferred it over to the secondary and the bottling bucket.

I did the same recipe last year and don't remember this level of junk in the bottles (and that one kept the pumpkin in the mix through the whole primary). I did dry-hop for a week (lesson: trying to get a half-ounce of leaf hops into a carboy is a recipe for a mess), so that could be contributing as well.

I'll probably break a 12oz open tomorrow and see what's going on.

Back