Recipe Estimates vs TastyBrew Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a post that referred to a TastyBrew calculator.. sounded good and easy. Just wondering if anyone has used it and how "accurate" it is.

Hopefully, someone can help me.. possibly run it thru the calculator to see if I did it correctly... ? Thanks

EDIT NOTE... I originally calculated this using a boil volume of 3 Gal and a Batch Size of 5 Gal These numbers below are using a Boil Vol of 5.5 G and a Batch Size of 5 Gal.

I bought an American Amber Ale extract kit with steeping grain.

The kit estimate || The TB Calculator shows this

OG 1.051- 1.054 1.056
FG: ?? 1.014
IBU 48-52 79
ABV 5 5.4
SRM 12 10

Suggested Ferm Temp: 68 Kit suggestion
Suggested Yeast: No suggestion in kit

Tssty Brew calculations using a yeast. 75% attenuation..

Kit contains:
8# Light LIQUID Malt Extract
1# Crystal 60L

1 oz Magnum for 60 min
1 oz Williamette for 5 min
1 oz Williamette for 1 min

Style Comparison TastyBrew
Low Me High
OG 1.045 1.056 1.056
FG 1.010 1.014 1.015
IBU 20 60 40
SRM 11 10 18
ABV 4.5 5.4 5.7

Did I provide enough information.. and correctly???

Thanks.. edited it.. it's Light Liquid M E...

So, you think 1 oz of Magnum for bittering is too much? Actually, I like bitter beers.. such as Racer V, etc..

My concern(?) is the difference between what my recipe says I should have vs what TastyBrew gives me. In most cases it's pretty close.. It's mainly the IBU calculation that seems pretty off. I bought BrewSmith for my computer but haven't installed it to see what it gives me.

Thanks Malt.. interesting.

BTW, I spoke with MoreBeer.. who the kit came from.. they said that TastyBrew probably didn't take into account the time of each hop in the boil.. She thought the reason the IBU was so high was that the calculator thought ALL the hops were in for a full 60 minutes.. I didn't see a way to modify time. I like your Hopville better, I think.

I think the kit assumes a partial boil. A lot of kits are like that. Even some all grain kits have the same hops as the extract kits. It's good idea to do the calculations before you brew.

Latest posts

Back