Keeping Barrels Cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedCabbage

Reaction score
Hello. New poster etc.

I've made one batch of homebrew lager (from kit) which I have cautiously considered to be a success (they are all finished and no-one is dead) and another is on the way.

I am a pretty dyed-in-the-wool lager boy and have thus far only considered cold, yellow, fizzy beverages but I got a brew barrel for my birthday from my Da and I guess I should make use of it. I don't have the fridge space to put the barrel in so I'm in a bit of a quandry over what to do.

Is there a good way of keeping a lager barrel cool that doesn't involve turfing out all the food from my fridge?

Can anyone recommend a room-temperature beer (bitter/ale) kit that would be a good entry level tipple for a lager drinker? Do most of said beers prefer to be served at "cellar temperature"? Is there a good method that folk use to cool the barrel a bit?

Can lager be transferred from the barrel to a bottle a couple of days before drinking without becoming gross?

Advice appreciated!

Back