Bottling a Stout? Whats my best option?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I'd really like to get a stout in some bottles for the XMas parties coming up, but from what I've seen thus far, stouts are really best served on nitrogen. Are there any options for those of us that don't have a kegging system?

A nitro pour is only necessary if you want that thick, creamy Guinness style head. Bottle as normal with an equivalent amount of sugar to get 1.8-2 volumes of CO2.

I've kegged and bottled plenty of stouts with good ol' CO2. You don't need the nitrogen mix. Bottle it up!

It's like having a Ferrari with a bow on it in the driveway on Christmas morning, even without the bow its still a Ferrari. Nitro isn't neccesary for a stout, just a nice extra.

I'd just like to agree with what everyone else has said - you can definitely bottle a stout w/ priming sugar and get some great results. Actually I think the nitro pour (and the widget cans) almost cover up the fact that guinness draft is nothing spectacular as a beer. (sacrilege, i know).

Ya ive had some great Stouts that were not used on nitrogen. I think the nitrogen gives the smooth creamy taste and head, which I actually love but in the bottles if brewed right you should still get the same just not the head.

Back