Going out of town. What should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestem4

Reaction score
Hi all,

My mead has been coming along pretty nicely and I think i'm nearing or at my final gravity, or at least what should be a final gravity.

I'm at 1.017 right now. My O.G. was 1.102. This puts me at 11.03% ABV. I am using Wyeast 4148 which the MFG states has a range of 10-11%.

I'm leaving friday and will be gone till tuesday, and though there seems to be some yeast still going, I'm not sure how long till they stall out.

So my question is, Do I leave it fermenting till it stops? And if that happens over the weekend, is leaving it on the lees with the yeast at its alcahol limit going to be bad for the mead? Off-flavors or anything?

Or should I put it into the fridge to stop fermentation and try sending the yeast into a dormant state. This way they'll flocculate and I can rack later.

Or just rack to seconday tomorrow before I leave for my trip?

Thanks for taking a read. Any advice is appreciated. :)

You will be fine leaving it for that amount of time, even the most dangerous yeasts to leave will be fine for a couple of months after fermentantion has stopped and the others can go even longer, I usually end up leaving mine for a good 3 months now due to lack of spare time.

Back