Wyeast 3724 + Roselare cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenS

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed up a high gravity honey orange saison as a holiday brew. I plan on cork and caging this brew in Belgian 750mL bottles. I understand that 3724 is a finicky yeast and I'm trying my best to keep its ferment temps ~@85F. This basically consists of the fermentor sitting in the warmest room of my house wrapped in a blanket.
If it does stall at 1.035 like it's famous for, I'm considering adding some of my roselare mutated cake which is a 3rd gen roselare package plus dregs of a few different all brett beer dregs. I love brett beers and think it would go great with this beer. Should I add the roselare cake I have or just get a new package of brett from a homebrew store?
I recently made a belgian pale fermented only with my brett cake and it came out great. Awesome brett presence and an aecetic sourness that I am fond of. If I add my roselare cake after the oxygen has been used up by the 3724, will aecetic sourness develop? I don't think that sourness would be appropriate for a saison.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm in west texas so I highly doubt I can get anything from ECY.

Well, you can order yeast from most home brew shops and they will ship it so I am not sure why not. It was a thought.

You're right. I might call them and try to get some. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back