stupid hydrometer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenryals

Reaction score
weak little thing... junk..

dropped it... million pieces.... crap!

so... lesson learned.. be very careful with hydrometers... they're made out of the worlds flimsiest glass...

I have broken a few in my short brewing experience. I think I looked at one the wrong way and it exploded....yet a buddy of mine has dropped his twice and hasnt broke yet.

Yup, i dropped mine a foot in the plastic tube onto a 6 pack and SMASH. Didn't even fall far. Thicker glass less lead!! whattayasay?

one day they will make them out of titanium!

They then will be useless as measuring devices....but they'll withstand anything!!! bwahahaha

Well, at least you kicked its ass, instead of the other way around . . . like what happened to me. :drunk:

< - - - Yeah, that's my nemesis right there. The SOB. :eek:

I tried telling my LHBS owner to find a company that sells square hydrometers so they'll stop rolling off my countertop. No luck so far. ;)

I have dropped mine several times and it's never broke, chipped, cracked or anything. I've broken several auto-siphons (where the bend is) though.

I've learned my lesson as well. When moving, I didn't properly wrap my hydrometer in 15 pounds of bubble wrap, and when I arrive at my new place...wouldn't you know it was shattered. Next time, my hydrometer will sit next to me in the passager seat.

Well, you can always purchase a plastic hydrometer if you can *gulp* swallow the price...

$61?!? Forget that nonsense! Plus this:

Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend this to a friend
After using for a couple weeks the hydrometer plastic housing leaked to the inside of the unit. It was handled as if it was glass.

Yep, always have one or two in reserve.

I'm a big fan of my refractometer, though. REALLY useful if you are an all-grain brewer.

I got the Coopers Micro Brewing kit for Christmas, the hydrometer comes in a little plastic tube as expected but with the least fitting caps on both ends. First thing I did was pick it up out of the box, hold in upright and had to catch it mid-air as the weight of it pushed the bottom cap out. Very close!

Dang it LLazy_LLama ...... you always beat me to every thread and say exactly what I was getting ready to say...... One day LLazy.... One day the victory shall be mine! ;)

Back