Tear this ESB(?) apart!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
First time just throwing together a recipe. Looking to use some Bullion I have around, but don't want to do a Stout. I think the grains are OK, but not sure on the hop bill. Rip in!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.16 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Bullion (Mad Scientist) [7.40 %] (80 min) FWH
0.50 oz Bullion (Mad Scientist) [7.40 %] (60 min) 12.2 IBU
0.50 oz Yakima Goldings [4.20 %] (45 min) 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Mad Scientist Amarillo [7.00 %] (15 min) 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (Steinbarts) [6.80 %] (Dry Hop 3 Hops)
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) Yeast-Ale

Professor Frink said:
The hops aren't to style, but who cares, looks like a good recipe.

Yeah, knew that. Curious how they're going to all work together. What's the fun of not taking risks, huh? :ban:

Looks awfully close to my ESB as far as the grain bill...just going to be a little higher in gravity. You know about the hops so I wont comment there. The only thing I would recommend is maybe trying Marris Otter instead of 2-row, but it looks like you are leaning more to a hop oriented beer than malt, so it might not be worth it.

I'm not sure I would agree with the chocolate malt in an ESB. You might be closer to style with a toasted, not a roasted malt. With that said, I'm debating whether to use a little bit of coffee malt (not as assertive as chocolate malt, but with a bit of roasted character) in the bitter I've got forthcoming.

Coffee is an interesting option. I was leaning towards maybe cutting back on the chocolate a little...maybe 2 oz instead of 4. And still debating on the hops. I don't have any Fuggles, Goldings, etc laying around right now and SWMBO is getting a little peeved that I'm taking up half the freezer with hops and still going out to buy more...

Well, I've been debating whether to brew mine as a traditional English bitter or as an Americanized version (I've got both Fuggles and Cascade in bulk). My thought was than an Americanized version wouldn't have any roast character, but that an English version MIGHT have a *little* (which I think would be complementary to the Fuggles I have). I had an English IPA recently that seemed to have a real subtle roast note to it that I kinda liked. But for an American interpretation, I might go with some toastiness (maybe toast a pound or two of the 2-row?)

Makes perfect sense. You've got me thinking now...which way to lean...I'm liking the idea of having a little toastiness in there....hmmm......

Kilted Brewer said:
Coffee is an interesting option. I was leaning towards maybe cutting back on the chocolate a little...maybe 2 oz instead of 4. And still debating on the hops. I don't have any Fuggles, Goldings, etc laying around right now and SWMBO is getting a little peeved that I'm taking up half the freezer with hops and still going out to buy more...

If you need some Fuggles or Goldings I think I have some Yakima Goldings and Fuggles in my freezer. Not sure how much, but maybe we can work a trade this weekend.

Shoot my a PM if interested, and I'll respond back with what I have later when I get off work. (I'm not really on HBT at work, am I?)

FWIW, I use 4oz chocolate malt in my special bitter, and the flavor of that beer is far from roasty. When using that small of an amount you get more sweetness than roastiness IMO.

Back