Brewing residue and secondary air space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpt1123

Reaction score
Hello:
During the boil, I notice a build up of heavy residue on the sides of the brew pot. I assume this is some sort of hop by-product. Should I be knocking this down into the wort during the boil?
Also, after a week in the primary bucket, I transfer everything but the heavy stuff into a 5 gallon better bottle which acts as a secondary. I end up with about a quart less than the 5 gallons. The little bit of air space makes me nervous as I don't want the beer to spoil from oxidation. I've been making wine for a few years now and oxidation is the big enemy of wine.
I realize that there could be fermentation taking place in the secondary - which should produce CO2 to protect the beer, but there doesn't seem to be too much going on by the time I move the beer to the secondary. I have tried to purge the airspace with argon but not sure if that's of any value. Should I add water to bring the beer level up to within 1 inch of the bung?
Thanks for the help,
Mike

No just leave it.If your worried just bottle it sooner. With a finished gravity.You also dont need to secondary if you dont want to that would elimante your headache and concern. Fermentation can be done in as little as 2 or 3 days but sometimes more.Im not saying to bottle it then though.
If you just leave it in primary and dont move it you dont have to worry.Oxidation usually isnt a problem and does take a while to take effect.
If your still worried just buy a carboy if you plan on secondarying more.You may want more fermenters anyway probably.

I wouldn't add water and a whole gallon is a bunch to leave behind. Personally I think you'd be way better off leaving it in the primary for three to four weeks, which will let things settle out more, and then transfer almost to whole five gallons to a bottling bucket or keg. Just m $02.

Back