Bottles Cider into Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feistygoat

Reaction score
So here is the situation.....

I bottled about 2.5 gallons of hard cider about two months ago. Sadly, I opened the first bottle after sitting for a month or so only to find an tremendously under carbonated hard cider.

I now have a kegging system for my home brew and was wondering if I could empty the hard cider into an empty keg and use co2 to increase the carbonation?

Any suggestions appreciated

because emptying all those bottles into the keg would certainly oxidize the heck out of it.
if you tried to pour very carefully, you would only lose 30% of the body if your lucky.
best method would be to open the bottles and add another 2/3 tsp corn sugar to it and move it somewhere warmer (70's) or just wait.

i think if you pour them carefully into the keg and purge you aren't going to harm the cider too bad. i am an advocate of trying your best not to aerate after fermentation, i rack once carefully, top up religiously, and bottle or keg with minimal air contact, but there are many people who carelessly rack multiple times, mix around in a bottling bucket, (i certainly did these things as a beginner cidermaker...) and still come out with perfectly good cider, not vinegar or cardboard. and remember under-carbed cider is still CO2 saturated so the CO2 released will help to protect the cider. my opinion anyways. if you do open the bottles and add sugar, dissolve the sugar in something first or you will have volcanoes, that i guarantee.

Thanks for all the feed back so far. Sounds like this isn't a very common thing to do. I'll post how things go.

Back