Hefeweizen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloipa

Reaction score
Brewed my 5th or so batch 2 weeks ago, an extract hefeweizen. At the time I didn't realize the Wheat LME was only 55% wheat so I used a 3.3 lb can of Breiss Wheat LME with 3 lbs Breiss Pilsner DME. Wyeast 3680 Yeast Hallertau and Saaz Hops.

My question is, how will the lack of enough wheat for the style affect the taste? I'm taking a gravity reading tonight and hoping to smell lots of banana and clove when I open up the fermenter.

BTW : I started doing Partial Grains a la Deathbrewer last week (so easy -- thx Deathbrewer if you're reading this) so this is probably my last all extract batch.

Best guess is you might be lacking some of the wheat haze that such a brew has. Flavors your describe are driven by the yeast more than the other ingredients - and the yeast ferment temps. I think a low 70's - maybe 73+/- should create the flavors you want. Although by now, you might have missed most of that 'ferment at X temp window'

Correct me if I'm wrong but banana and clove is a byproduct of the yeast, not the wheat content.

That is the way I understand it as well. I brewed a hefe a week ago with WLP300 yeast, and every review I have read says that yeast produces banana and clove characters.

Brewed my 5th or so batch 2 weeks ago, an extract hefeweizen. At the time I didn't realize the Wheat LME was only 55% wheat so I used a 3.3 lb can of Breiss Wheat LME with 3 lbs Breiss Pilsner DME. Wyeast 3680 Yeast Hallertau and Saaz Hops.

My question is, how will the lack of enough wheat for the style affect the taste? I'm taking a gravity reading tonight and hoping to smell lots of banana and clove when I open up the fermenter.

BTW : I started doing Partial Grains a la Deathbrewer last week (so easy -- thx Deathbrewer if you're reading this) so this is probably my last all extract batch.

It shouldn't affect the flavor much, if at all. The yeast is where the magic happens in weissbiers. However the head retention and mouthfeel is where you probably will notice a difference.

It should still be ok. Chaulk it up as a lesson learned. :mug:

Cool, thanks. I know the banana/clove comes from the yeast and I kept the temp a steady 68-72 degrees so it should be pretty good. I just wasn't sure how the smaller amount of yeast would affect it.

Oh yeah, checked last night and the gravity was 1.011 and it smells delicious!

Me and my friends have been drinking these like mad and the reviews are all great! Brewing is the BEST!

Correct me if I'm wrong but banana and clove is a byproduct of the yeast, not the wheat content.

It's a byproduct of the yeast, but the precursor comes from the barley. You can actually get more clove from using more barley. 100 years ago - most wheat brews were 2/3 barley. - Per Designing Great Beers.

It's a byproduct of the yeast, but the precursor comes from the barley. You can actually get more clove from using more barley. 100 years ago - most wheat brews were 2/3 barley. - Per Designing Great Beers.

That would explain why it has a distinct clove aroma as I used more barley than wheat. One person (who is admittedly not a beer drinker but liked the hefe) said "do I smell cinnamon in here?" Close.

Back