beginner question (fermentation temps)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woopig

Reaction score
Hello all. Wanting to get my third batch started tonight, an Oktoberfest extract kit from True Brew. I won't bore you with the details, but here's the decision I have to make: put the primary in the basement, where the temps may be in the low 80's, or put it down there just for tonight, then move it back up to the house tomorrow.

In other words, what's the lesser of two evils: fermenting at 80, or moving the primary after a day or so?

Thanks

What is the ambient temperature of your house?

80 is generally too hot to ferment and you will get a lot of esters and off flavors in your brew. I wouldnt rush anything and wait until you can get your temps right

Also, I'm assuming that this is a lager kit. You will need to ferment this at around 50 degrees if it is a lager

House temp is perfect, right around 72 degrees. Problem is I can't leave it in the house tomorrow (having an open house in an effort to sell it), so was wondering if one day at 80 would hurt it.

No, it's an ale kit. True Brew Oktoberfest, I asked and apparently it's made to be brewed like an ale.

One day at 80 wont kill your beer, but since it will be during the primary growth phase of the yeast, you will get a lot of ester productions and the beer will probably have a lot of fruity, sweet flavors. If it were 80 for only 1 day at the end of fermentation, it probably wouldnt be as big of a deal......

Ok, thanks. Just to confirm, it sounds like you're saying 80 is a big enough deal that you'd go ahead and move it back up inside the house after tomorrow. Not that big of a deal to move it while fermenting just once?

Personally, both of those would be a big enough issues for me to hold of my brew day until I could just keep the fermenter in the house.

I wouldnt want to mess with fermentation temps that high, and moving the fermenter risks oxidation. The combination of high fermentation temps and oxidation can cause some really nasty off flavors in your beer.

If you do want to do the batch, you can go ahead and try it. It make still come out okay. But with those factors, it probably wont be the best beer it could be.....

Ok, maybe I screwed up. In the middle of it now so have to go ahead. I just cleared a spot for it that I think my wife will be ok with for the open house, as long as it doesn't start to smell too strongly by tomorrow, I think I might get away with it. Thanks for your tips.

Make a swamp cooler?
Plastic bin, water, Ice tshirt over the carboy or bucket to wick the water?
You might have the parts handy.

Back