Feeling accomplished (with photo)!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I just bottled up a batch of what might be my best batch to date!
I had to take a photo to commemorate this day!
Imperial_stout_4-14-2012.jpg

I'm a major stout fan. I've brewed about 5 all grain stouts before this one. They alll seemed to have a bit of a tannic bitterness to them. Some were worse than others, but none were real bad. It was still very drinkable and 2 were quite enjoyable. Yet, I still noticed a bitterness that other peoples homebrews didn't seem to have. Since all of my light beers come out great I started to suspect that my dark beers were lacking due to a sparge pH issue. As a result I started reading up about water chemistry. After a few experiments I decided to treat my water for the batch in this photo. It is an Imperial Stout fermented with WLP004. When I bottled it today I took a taste of the hydro sample, and WOW! This beer has an amazing roasted malt taste without any tannic bitterness at all. I was also shocked that even though it's at 8.3% ABV it wasn't very "hot".. I could see this being drinkable in as little as 6 weeks after bottle conditioning. I'll still age it, though. I still have a lot to learn about water chemistry, but I have a feeling I'm finally on to something! :ban:

Awesome job! It's always a great feeling to see measurable results from a process modification. I have a batch going now that was made with tap water that was allowed to sit overnight for chlorine evaporation. I want to see if that is what gave my porter a plastic off-flavor. I haven't delved into pH levels yet, but that is definitely in the near future for me.

Awesome job! It's always a great feeling to see measurable results from a process modification. I have a batch going now that was made with tap water that was allowed to sit overnight for chlorine evaporation. I want to see if that is what gave my porter a plastic off-flavor. I haven't delved into pH levels yet, but that is definitely in the near future for me.
I've done the same thing by leaving my water sit over night. Now I use a RV carbon water filter and a couple Campden tablets for good measure. Plus depending on the style, I now dilute with RO or use pure RO and treat it.

awesome man! what did you use to meaasure your ph? juts normal test strips?

I did indeed just use strips in spite of the fact they aren't real accurate. I also used EZ water calc to build my water profile which predicts pH levels. So, I'm going more on that prediction than I am on a pH reading. A pH meter is on my short list..

Back