Not sure how to calculate this ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draygon

Reaction score
So I bottled my Cherry Stout today, and I am not sure how to calculate the ABV in it, if someone could help me out and let me know how to do it that would be great.

OG = 1.050
Gravity when racked onto 3lb Cherry Puree = 1.016
Gravity before bottling = 1.011
Gravity with corn sugar in it = 1.018

It depends on how many gravity points you are getting from the Cherry Puree. To calculate your gravity your adjusted OG will be 1.050 + gravity points from cherry puree and your FG will be 1.011, assuming the corn sugar was for carbing.

Looks like the corn sugar added about 7 gravity points (I'm taking some guesses as to what you're doing there). It will convert completely, so I just added it to the OG. If that sugar was for priming bottles, sounds like too much.

(1.057 - 1.011) * 133 = 6.1%

[edit] I forgot about the cherries. I have no idea how to add fermentables for that.

Does the 3 lbs of cherry puree add any gravity points? I've never made a fruit beer so I have no clue.

Looks like the corn sugar added about 7 gravity points (I'm taking some guesses as to what you're doing there). It will convert completely, so I just added it to the OG. If that sugar was for priming bottles, sounds like too much.

(1.057 - 1.011) * 133 = 6.1%

I added the normal amount of corn sugar for bottle carbing, was just trying to figure out everything else to get the final gravity of the beer.

Few different answers here not sure which to go with lol.

Do you know how much sugar was in the cherry puree? Without that you won't be able to know exactly the ABV.

I added the normal amount of corn sugar for bottle carbing, was just trying to figure out everything else to get the final gravity of the beer.

Few different answers here not sure which to go with lol.

Been looking online but I cant seem to find the sugar content of it. I used Vintner's Harvest Fruit Puree - Cherry.

Look at the cherries can for the total calories (might have to multiply by number of servings per can). Divide this number by 191 to get the number of gravity points to add to your OG for a 5g batch. Then use the simple formula (OG-SG) * 131 = ABV.

I.e., if there's 5000 calories in that can of puree, 5000/191 = 26. Add that to the 50 points from the initial wort, plus what looks like 7 points from the corn sugar, 50+7+26 = 83. (1.083 - 1.011) = 9.4%

I get 6.7%.

I calculated it based on some assumptions (i.e., 1755 calories per pound of sugar; so 900 calories means there was only about half pound of fermentable sugar in can; not true probably but it's a WAG).

Not possible to really know without lab work in my opinion.

I figured it at 6.6% so it looks like its somewhere in that range, Id say 6.5-6.7% Ill go with the lower one just to be on the "safe" side I guess.

Thanks for the help !

Back