Slow start, fast finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBoyers

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of "Smooth Nut Brown" extract kit from Midwest last Sunday. I used Wyeast Scottish Ale Activator. I smacked the pack about 4 hours before but it never swelled. I pitched anyway. I was thinking I was dealing with dead yeast until about 36 hours in when activity started. It wasn't extremely vigorous, but pretty active for about 3 days. Then the float in my 3 piece air lock drops to the bottom and stays there. Again I thought I must have some damaged yeast as I've never seen this happen in less than a week in primary. I opened up and did a gravity reading today thinking I would need to pitch more yeast, but low and behold its at final, but there wasn't much krausen to speak of. Now I'm confused as what to do. a) Rack to secondary, b) Go ahead and bottle, c) pitch more yeast, d) ???

Personally, I'd let it sit for two more weeks in the primary then bottle. You could also rack it to secondary, but in either case, wait about three or four weeks from brew date to bottle date.

It is easy to cross out your option c. You took a reading, it is at its final gravity, so there's no need for additional yeast.

You don't want to bottle yet because you only brewed it a week ago. I could see bottling after a week for a hefeweizen, but not a brown ale. Give the beer some time to condition (either in the primary or in a secondary) so that the yeast can clean up diacetyl and other off-flavors that may have developed during fermentation. If you do some reading on this forum, you'll find people are pretty split about whether or not to rack to secondary for an ale. I can tell you from my own personal experience that I prefer not to- I just keep my beer in primary for three or four weeks and it has been turning out awesome. It turns out very clear, I'm just careful not to siphon off any of the yeast when I transfer to my bottling bucket on bottling day.

+1 to letting it age a bit. I dont secondary (some do some dont) but typically leave the beer in there for 3 or 4 weeks before bottling.

Higher fermentation temperatures are typically what leads to faster fermentations. Do you know what temp it fermented at? Keeping beers (most) below 70 leads to a cleaner and less estery beer (which is good). Just something to think about for the next one.

Latest posts

Back