What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homer have you ever had Johnny Marzetti? It is an easy ,cheap, soul satisfying dish that is you might want to try.It is called goulash in some parts and american chop suey? in others .Google it and whatever you do use elbow macaroni not noodles!

Interesting! It seems VERY similar to a dish my mom used to make once in a while we called Goop. I think the only difference being mom used to put green beans in hers.

What we call Goulash is elbow macaroni, spaghetti sauce, ground beef, and kidney beans (or some other bean if you are my wife...)

Last night I made cheese soup. Wanted to use up the last hunk of homemade beer cheese that didn't turn out right. I used a Belgian Golden Strong Ale in the cheese, and the Belgian funk was too strong. Plus the cheese started to mold under the wax.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

1/2 stick butter in pot
Chop 1 medium/large sweet onion, add to the butter, then add diced garlic (or powdered if you don't happen to have any fresh on hand..) and sautee until caramelized
Add chicken bouillon and heaping spoonful of flour and stir well to break up the bouillon. Add a bit of water until the flour and water make a thick and smooth paste.

Add grated cheese (roughly 1 lb. I think) and stir until cheese is melted and integrated. Add rest of 4 cups of water.

Add chopped ham, or whatever kind of ham you want to use.

Chop jalepenos and add to the soup and let it simer as long as you can stand it.

Add a cup of cream or however much you want and heat it back up and serve.

I added a small amount of salt to the onions to help them loose their moisture, but with the cheese and ham, it's already plenty salty, so be careful!

I personally think some chopped broccoli would also go great in this, but we didn't have any.

What was suppose to be a meal just to use up some very iffy cheese turned out really good! I'm making more cheese, probably tomorrow, and I'm skipping the beer part. I may read up on adding stout, though. I've seen a stout cheese that looked really cool with the dark brown veins running through it.

I got the idea from this recipe but I used brown mushroom gravy vs the green peppercorn sauce. Served along side green beans and baked sweet potatoes with brown sugar cinnamon butter. This was served with a clone of a popular Munich Dunkel.

sorry for the blurry photo -- I was in a hurry! :cool:

What's all that white stuff all over your porch?

I got the idea from this recipe but I used brown mushroom gravy vs the green peppercorn sauce. Served along side green beans and baked sweet potatoes with brown sugar cinnamon butter. This was served with a clone of a popular Munich Dunkel.

sorry for the blurry photo -- I was in a hurry! :cool:

Have you ever had green peppercorn sauce? One of my favorite.

Well, I'm outta here! Weekend starts NOW!

I think I'll go home and make those wrapped chicken things with spinach.

Oh look, it's 10 minutes past beer-thirty! I'm late!

Awesome stir fry recipe my girlfriend requested a few weeks ago. Made it again tonight but i used flat iron steak instead of strip steak. Huge difference! Such an easy recipe that turns out fantastic. Cant ever find the noodles they recommend so i sub thai noodles in. Cant beat it IMO!

http://damndelicious.net/2014/11/28/beef-noodle-stir-fry/

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425002809.811477.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425002820.326339.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425002838.498210.jpg

I'm grilling some wangs tonight! Powdered them up with olive oil and creole seasoning. Will brown them the glaze with Stub's Original BBQ sauce mixed with Siriacha sauce!

And it's 30° and you can still see snow on the ground if you look in heavily shaded places!! OMG, ain't nobody got time for dat!

Yall getting tired of Texans pointing out that that we are the only ones on the forum that might be seeing global warming?? Lol

I'm grilling some wangs tonight! Powdered them up with olive oil and creole seasoning. Will brown them the glaze with Stub's Original BBQ sauce mixed with Siriacha sauce!

And it's 30° and you can still see snow on the ground if you look in heavily shaded places!! OMG, ain't nobody got time for dat!

Yall getting tired of Texans pointing out that that we are the only ones on the forum that might be seeing global warming?? Lol

I'll just leave it as this, wangs?

Awesome stir fry recipe my girlfriend requested a few weeks ago. Made it again tonight but i used flat iron steak instead of strip steak. Huge difference! Such an easy recipe that turns out fantastic. Cant ever find the noodles they recommend so i sub thai noodles in. Cant beat it IMO!

http://damndelicious.net/2014/11/28/beef-noodle-stir-fry/

View attachment 259512View attachment 259513View attachment 259514

Looks AWESOME! Look for Udon noodles in the refrigerated produce section, a lot of stores put them there for some reason. Often near the polenta.
Regards, GF.

I'll never forget when my Mom was working for the government, and she told me they were having her take a special training class on using Wangs. Yeah, I about spit my drink.

I'm proud.Fixed that for the wife and I last week.That stuff is like warm hug for me.Also had it in the military back in the early 70's .Wonder if they still serve that? Armour is the way to go Buddig kinda sucks.

I'm proud.Fixed that for the wife and I last week.That stuff is like warm hug for me.Also had it in the military back in the early 70's .Wonder if they still serve that? Armour is the way to go Buddig kinda sucks.

Yeah Budding is a different type of beef Armour dried beef is the only way to go. I forgot how salty that dried beef is good thing i tasted it before adding it

When I was a kid my Dad would make us breakfast a couple times a year with this stuff
View attachment 259689

My Dad was a career soldier and in the Army they called this SOS (**** on a shingle)

My Pops would be proud.

Personally I think that just looks awesome!! We use the beef in a cheese ball recipe but I have never done anything else with it. My wife knew exactly what I was describing when I told her what I was seeing cause she had it as a kid.

It looks like it will warm you up to your toes. Gotta try it!

Army brat or country boy? Never heard that anywhere but on a farm...until I started hanging out with NCO's that entered the army in the 80's or earlier.

I spent the first 5 years of my life at Fort Benning Georgia where my Dad was a Jumpmaster.

Personally I think that just looks awesome!! We use the beef in a cheese ball recipe but I have never done anything else with it. My wife knew exactly what I was describing when I told her what I was seeing cause she had it as a kid.

It looks like it will warm you up to your toes. Gotta try it!

I never made it before but I make sausage gravy and biscuits all the time so I made it exactly the same except I subbed the dried beef for the sausage. It turned out great.

I spent the first 5 years of my life at Fort Benning Georgia where my Dad was a Jumpmaster.

Apparently I was conceived there just before my dad shipped out to Vietnam. I was informed of this at age 38 just before I got on a plane to there to transition to Iraq for the third time as a contractor...

Apparently I was conceived there just before my dad shipped out to Vietnam. I was informed of this at age 38 just before I got on a plane to there to transition to Iraq for the third time as a contractor...

My Dad went to Benning after leaving Vietnam and finished out his 22 year career there.

S.O.S is great . Apparently the navy used ground beef because they had refrigeration on board ship.The army not so much with field kitchens .Which is why they used dried beef.Good stuff. I make it a couple times a year.

Oh yeah .I always separate each slice and rinse it .Otherwise I would have a stroke mid meal.

I remember having SOS as a kid a couple times a month. I hated it! Probably because I don't think it was rinsed. I just remembered it being very salty.
My dad always had it over toast.
Wow that was 30+ yrs ago. Haven't had it since and don't miss it.
I also believe it was Armor brand and it came in a glass jar.

SOS...I love that ****! My Dad was Army in WW2...luckily, we dropped the bomb, as he was sitting in a train station on his way to deploy. But he did get SOS regularly. I used to eat the Armour Dried Beef right out of he jar...salty, but good! But then, I eat anchovies right out of the can and don't rinse my kraut, either.

Made some spicy bean dip with pintos, guajillo and ancho chilis, paprika, garlic powder, a little oil and a little Peri Peri hot sauce.

14251036982801195353630.jpg

Back