Experimental Sweet and Sour Beer - Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Some of you may recall my thread from a month or so ago where I asked for input on making an experimental sweet and sour beer. A well rounded golden ale for a base with yellow candi sugar for the sweet part and acid malt for the sour part. Well, it worked. I bottled it last night and it's delicious. Can't wait to age it and see how it develops.

I'd say the sweet and sour aspects are well balanced and nothing is particularly cloying. The hops used worked well, gave it a slightly floral aroma with a delicate, herbal flavor. There is a nice malty after taste with complex sweet and sour notes throughout. For anyone who's interested, I'm reposting the modified recipe. Yes Virginia, that is 1.5 lbs of acid malt for a 6 gallon batch.

Anyway, cheers to sharing the wealth.

Experimental Sweet and Sour Beer

6 gallon batch
SRM: 7
Predicted OG: 1.073
Predicted ABV: 7%
Total IBUs: 22

8 lbs Pilsner Malt
3 lbs Munich Malt 10L
1.5 lbs Acidulated Malt
1 lbs Rye Malt
1 lbs Golden Naked Oats
.5 lbs Crystal Rye
2 lbs Pale-Yellow candi sugar

90 Minute Boil
.5 oz Fuggles @ 75 mins
.5 oz Fuggles @ 60 mins
.5 oz Glacier @ 45 mins
.5 oz Glacier @ 30 mins
.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 20 mins
.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 15 mins

White Labs Kolsch Yeast @ 68-70 degrees for 2-2.5 weeks

Special Directions: Mash at 153-154 degrees. Steep acidulated malt at beginning of wort boil.

Back