Ale fermentation done in 22 hours??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeatReek

Reaction score
OK, so I threw down my first beer this weekend, and less than a day later it was bubbling less than once per minute! Can it really be done so soon?

The beer was an Irish Stout out of a kit (plus a pound of oatmeal in the grainbill because I like oatmeal stout). After seeping the grains and boiling all the extracts, I poured the stuff in the Ale Pail and filled to the 5 gal line with room temp water. It was kind of bubbly from the aeration, but the OG was around 1.045, and the temp was about 81 F. Seal the bucket, stick in the airlock, about 9:30 at night.

Next morning by 7:30, it was bubbling 3-4 times per second, and the temp was still about 80 even though the room was cooler (about 72). This continued for a few more hours, but by 7pm, it seemed to have stopped (may have bubbled once every 2 minutes or so, but that's about it). I was confused, so I measured the SG (there's very little Kraeuzen left) and it was at 1.015. This is a low enough FG that it could be considered "done" rather than "stuck", right? Could it really happen so quickly?? Should I do something?

Obviously I'm not gonna bottle it yet (following the John Palmer newbie advice: no secondary, but let it sit on the trub for about 2 weeks), but should I do anything to restart the ferment? If so, what?

There are others who are far more expert than I, but I would say let it sit two weeks, bottle, age and enjoy. I would not reopen at this point. If you are concerned about having enough carbonation, maybe give it a quarter of a cup extra priming sugar when you bottle.

With such a high fermentation temp, there is a good possibility that its done. Having said that, I would still let it remain for a few more days in the primary before racking to secondary. If you do not have a secondary, then definitely give it a full week in the primary. You may not notice any additional fermentation, but I suspect that at the end of the week the gravity will have dropped a couple of points more. If the gravity remains the same at the end of the week, then go ahead and bottle if you wish (assuming no secondary). If the gravity has dropped, then take another reading a day or two later. Do this until the gravity stabilizes and then bottle.

PeatReek said:
Obviously I'm not gonna bottle it yet (following the John Palmer newbie advice: no secondary, but let it sit on the trub for about 2 weeks), but should I do anything to restart the ferment? If so, what?

This is what I'd do. Let it sit and check it in two weeks. No reason to check it more often unless you like less beer to bottle/keg. You're definitely not stuck. Or what vtfan says...

Yes, it is entirely possible, given the fermentation temperatutre and whatever type of yeast was used. I'd follow vtfan99's advice. :)

I'm making an ale and my situation sounds pretty similar. Mine started bubbling like crazy within 12 hours and did that for a couple of days, but by the 4th or 5th day all visible activity had pretty much stopped. I think I should have cooled it down faster in a cold water bath before adding the yeast. The temperature stayed at about 80 in the beginning even though it was in a cool basement. Now it has been about 9 days. For almost a week the temperature has been 70 or 72. I don't have a secondary carboy yet. The recipe says wait 14 days to bottle, but I wonder if it is time now.

I've got an even better one.

Brewed last night, pitched yeast at about 11:30pm. first bubbles were seen at about 1am. got up this morning to see 1 bubble/second. looking fine.

came home from work today to see a 1 inch thick head of krausen on the brew an still one bubble/second. this was at 5pm. this was text book fermentation right here.

However, at 8pm (just three house later) not only has the airlock gone silent, but that krausen has also COMPLETELY vanished. if this is really done, it took less than 21 hours.

I'll check the gravity tomorrow and decide what to do with it.

-walker

Walker, i can believe it was done, do you remember what you did with it, 7 years ago, haha

OK, so I threw down my first beer this weekend, and less than a day later it was bubbling less than once per minute! Can it really be done so soon?

The beer was an Irish Stout out of a kit (plus a pound of oatmeal in the grainbill because I like oatmeal stout). After seeping the grains and boiling all the extracts, I poured the stuff in the Ale Pail and filled to the 5 gal line with room temp water. It was kind of bubbly from the aeration, but the OG was around 1.045, and the temp was about 81 F. Seal the bucket, stick in the airlock, about 9:30 at night.

Next morning by 7:30, it was bubbling 3-4 times per second, and the temp was still about 80 even though the room was cooler (about 72). This continued for a few more hours, but by 7pm, it seemed to have stopped (may have bubbled once every 2 minutes or so, but that's about it). I was confused, so I measured the SG (there's very little Kraeuzen left) and it was at 1.015. This is a low enough FG that it could be considered "done" rather than "stuck", right? Could it really happen so quickly?? Should I do something?

1.045 OG seems low for an Irish Stout extract kit with added oatmeal. However, 1.015 doesn't seem strangely high for an FG for that style. However, that only gives you 3.84% ABV, and that is low for the style. I'm thinking that your issue is with your boil/top-off process and not really in your fermentation. While the temps are a bit on the high side, I don't think you'd get much more out of it at an ideal temp with the OG that you hit.

How big of a boil did you do? What kind of yeast did you use?

As a general rule, fermentation is not done when airlock activity ceases. It still has quite a ways to go.

I just did an ale the other day ad well. Bubbled like crazy 1st and 2nd day, then stopped. This is how all of my batches have been.

Sorry newbie question: Doesn't yeast die past 80?

No. Some yeast, saison strains for example, like to ferment in the 90's. Unfortunately it also spits out a huge amount of esters and fusel alcohols at those high temps. While that is ok for a saison it's not too good for a stout or most other styles.

As prrriiide said, your OG for a stout is pretty low.

Did you aerate the wort well? You might want to give the wort a stir. Best to leave it set for a few weeks. By all means your beer is not ready for anything. Are you planning on using a secondary fermentor?

09-19-2005, 03:24 PM I'm betting it's pretty fermented by now.........

Back