Warmer fermentation safe beers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I have seen the list of yeasts, styles of beers. I have read many chapters about esters, and other "off flavors" from warmer fermentation. I have also thought about in the "old days" there was no temp control other than whatever the weather brought thier way.
Temps used to change and fermentation was effected. Now we try to keep it under 68 for this type of beer, and between 68-70 for this hefe. I thought we could come up with a list of beers, and or yeasts that warrant the absense of temp controls.
Some yeasts are better at this, as are some general types of beers. I am not yet knowledgeable enough to form a list, but I thought we could enlist the help of our fellow brewers for this. What say you???;)

Safale-05
Coopers
Saison

Any more we can add to the list? I have brewed for the last few years without doing anything about my ferment temps at all. Of course I have done mostly hefes, and used US-05. Simple beers and lots of IPAs.
I have just begun to think about using a tub with frozen water bottles and a swamp cooler method to lower the temps. Hopefully I will get something setup for a lower temp. My house stays at 71-74 all year, but getting it below the 68 is my target.

Well Im a n00b but belgian beers and bavarian style hefe or dunkel, i believe should do ok in the warmer temps. Also maybe a kolsch from what I read but somebody who has brewed these beers should chime in. I could also imagine a hopper english bitter, perhaps?

You can brew wheat beers in the 70s but you will definitely get a lot of banana flavor, so temp control is important there, too.

Ultimately temp control is important for any style, but some yeast strains and beer styles are more tolerant to warmer temps, particularly belgians.

It's already been said, but if you want to brew in the summer and can't do temp control, do a saison.

Saisons are tasty beers, there's a tremendous range of variation (spices, hops, "dark saisons", soured and funky saisons, etc), and it's virtually impossible to get them too hot. DuPont brews the classic archtypical saison, and they're rumored to do so at 90 degrees.

Back