Infected starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafae

Reaction score
Hello,

Two issues with this starter:

1) I ordered my Wyeast pale ale yeast off AHS. When i pulled the pack out of my fridge it was cold and partially inflated. Turns out the smack pack was already broken (most likely during shipping). I decided to pitch it into a starter to see if it's still good.

2) While cooling the starter in an ice bath, i lacked a sufficiently clean lid thanks to the roommate so i had to use a larger one. When i pulled the drain plug to lower the water level, some of the sink water gurgled into the starter wort.

Have any of you infected a starter batch before? How long does it take to notice if it's infected. What are the signs to look for? Should i pitch this stuff on brew day or is it now necessary to buy new yeast?

Thanks!

starter? we don't need no stinking starters. not me, anyway. does it smell sour, or have a heavy slime over the top? by far not sure signs, just some signs

I wouldn't pitch it. Best not taking the risk and ruining a batch. And I wouldn't base it off of smell either. Starters can smell pretty bad. I've had some smell like vinegar and others smell like burnt rubber and the beers have all turned out well.

really, best to toss it, and pitch fresh yeast, as it's a ***** to lose beer you've waited months for just to find it's bad

Oh my god, the infection paranoia in this thread is ridiculous! It will be fine! The chances of a drop of unsanitized water infecting your starter are slim to none!

Here's a little secret, I make all of my starters with unboiled tap water. Living on the edge, I know, but I've never had a problem!

Back