BTUs for a converted keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I just made my first converted keg(woot!) and now I have a problem. When I put it on my turkey fryer propane burner, it takes over two hours to boil the 12 to 14 gallons of water :mad:

I do not know the BTUs of my current burner, but I would guess isn't not that much.

I'm looking for a quick boil, since brew days take long enough as is. There is a 75,000 BTU camp chef unit for $60 at REI, but there is also the Banjo Cooker, which is 210,000BTU for $65. Fuel is not a problem since I have a 40lb tank and a 20lb reserve tank.

would 210,000BTUs be too much and damage the bottom of my converted keg?

Go for the 210, I am running 170 on mine and it does a great job. Once up to boil I back it down to get a good rolling boil with no boil overs and I am doing 7 and 14 gal boils.

Thats for the response ppls. Anyone have any idea how much propane is consumed at 210k BTUs?

thx

Brewing outside I hope with all those BTU's......if not, your next investment better be a canary!

CO kills............be careful if brewing indoors with propane.

Back