Anyone use UnMalted Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 55lb bag of UnMalted wheat I acquired in another larger deal. I've read about it not being recommended for the homebrewer as quoted by another HBT'er from a magazine source. I was hoping to be able to use this this summer for lots of wit's, wheats, and hefes. What is the concern of it being unmalted if any?

I have a 55lb bag of UnMalted wheat I acquired in another larger deal. I've read about it not being recommended for the homebrewer as quoted by another HBT'er from a magazine source. I was hoping to be able to use this this summer for lots of wit's, wheats, and hefes. What is the concern of it being unmalted if any?

I have never used it, however I have heard people say you can use it. I have heard that it needs a protein Rest.

Unmalted wheat is most commonly used in brewing witbiers, I believe. I know it's used in lambics, but those are a whole 'nother beast. You'll have to use it in conjunction with a diastic (sp?) malt for the enzymes, and I'm pretty sure RI's right about the greater need for a protein rest.

You'll have to do a protein rest (unless you are hardly using any say 1/4 lb), or suffer the consequences :D.

But, other than that I like to use it. For Wits, the percentage is often high enough that you have unconverted starch in the resultant brew. Oh, you may want to mix it with your other grains and mill it twice. Do NOT attempt it by itself, it's like trying to grind little rubber pellets. This may be ok with a motorized setup, I hand mill.

If it's unmalted, you should look into doing a cereal mash. The wheat will need to be boiled to gelatainize the starches.

Anyone interested in buying a 55lb bag of UnMalted Wheat? Sounds to complicated for me right now. I'm just now doing my first AG tis weekend.

I use it for my hefeweisen. 50% unmalted wheat and 50% pilsner. Works great. I do a 120-140-152 schedule. It is hard stuff. I double mill it with my motorized 3 roll crank.

Anyone interested in buying a 55lb bag of UnMalted Wheat? Sounds to complicated for me right now. I'm just now doing my first AG tis weekend.

I'd be interested possibly, I have not bought bulk grain yet though and don't have a mill. But I wanted to start sometime soon. I think the shipping will be too high though to me in FL. If you can give me the cost and a shipping quote I'll think about it. Thanks.

I did a quickie on UPS and the cheapest option said like 221 dollars!! Might be doing something wron! I was hoping for a local pick up.

How close are you to Columbus and/or Cleveland? I'll be out in Ohio in July, I might be interested if you've still got the sack (have to convince the wife it's worth the space it would take up, though... ;))

Latest posts

Back