I chipped my ceramic kettle, is it ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
Hello, after discovering my sister had used my brew kettle as a car wash bucket I went into a fit of rage and threw it on the cement which chipped some ceramic off the inside and outside. It is aluminum. Is it ok to use??

Thanks!

Not a problem. If it had been iron, you would have to watch for rust developing.

I heard/read somewhere that brewing with AL causes Alzheimers. Can't remember where I heard it though.......wait......what am I typing about again?

j/k. You should be fine.

Probably a good idea to keep the tantrums in check from now on. Thinking any damage that might have been caused by using the pot as a washbasin would be far exceeded by winging the pot against the concrete, just a hunch... :D

haha, it seems funny to me now... I was so mad when I found it full of cleaning products that I dumped them out onto the ground and slammed the pot down in the metal sink hard enough to chip it, then I got more angry that I ruined it so I went outside and threw it on the ground as hard as I could...

alright, thanks buddies, I'll keep using it :)

They don't enamel aluminum, why would they? Also, the heat would melt the aluminum before the ceramic fuses. And lots of guys use aluminum. Pro's use stainless, but that's so they can use nastey stuff to clean it with.

Just in case you don't read your other post,

I wouldn't use a pot with any rust at all, ever. Even if you 'rust convert". I think you'll ruin the next batch of beer as the acids in the wort dissolve the 'black rust'. My neighbor had to throw out 6 batchs before he found the culprit- chipped ceramic kettle.

Back