Will time heal fusels etc.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
I have 3 different brews in the pipeline and all were fermented at a room temperature of 70 to 74 deg F. One in particular was so vigorous that I expect the wort was at 78 deg at times.

From what I've read, I expect to find undesirables in the initial ferment--fusels, diacetyls and so on.

Will bottle conditioning eventually take care of too-high temperature by products. Or is there a level beyond which these are permanent?

From what I've read, I expect to find undesirables in the initial ferment--fusels, diacetyls and so on.

Don't self diagnose a problem that may or may not be there....Your beer is hardier than that...and more resiliant. It's been brewed in some pretty brutal conditions and the yeasts have managed do do some amazing things...

Just RDWHAHB

My last 2 batches fermented around 78. The brown was OK but the Irish Red at 5 weeks you could feel it burn as it went down. I put it aside and tried it at 8 weeks and it was excellent. I sure miss that Red now that it is gone.

Depending where it is in the pipeline, you might do best to give it more time before it hits bottles - at least, any yeast-continuing-to-work improvements should be faster in bulk than in bottles. But if it's already bottled, just leave it be for a while.

What yeast did you use? If you used something like S-05 that is good up to 75F, you may very well be fine. If you used something like nottingham that is only rated up to 70F, you may very well have some strong fusels - been there, done that.

If you do have fusels, I don't think they're going to go away - they're alcohols, not something the yeast can break down like some other fermentation byproducts. However, the other aspects of the beer may change during conditioning to help mask, or at least take the edge off, the fusel character.

After brewing my last batch (an Amber Lager), it was late and I was out of ice so I pitched a bit warmer than I would have liked (I've GOT to get a chiller). Activity started in just a few hours and I moved the brew to the fridge. The way the fermentation took off, I was sure the temps got a little away from me. I used Superior lager yeast (which I maintain is Maurivin) so I was hopeful it could handle the higher temps.

After 3 weeks in primary and a 3 day D-rest, I opened the bucket for the transfer to secondary. I was smacked in the face with a winey/cidery smell and the taste was pretty cidery as well. Just had to tell myself not to worry and I transfered it to secondary. Needless to say, I was anxious to see how it was doing at the next step.

After 3 weeks in secondary, I bottled that batch yesterday. I gotta tell you the smell was awesome! Actually, my wife smelled it first and she was rather impressed (she wants to cook with it). Flavor was good, with some nice caramel notes. There was still a hint of the cider flavor, but you almost had to look for it; certainly nothing like it was, and I'm sure it will mellow even more with further conditioning. Who knows? Might even wind up adding to the overall character in the end.

To make a long story a bit longer, just keep telling yourself it ain't over till it's over. I'm sure it'll be fine!

Chris

Thanks for the great advice! Apologies for a late reply.

Yeasts used were Munton's standard (extract Irish Stout), Safale-05 (Pale Ale) and Safale-04 (an IPA) The IPA has been bottle conditioning for a few days--tasted slightly cidery out of the fermenter but it's still green for sure. The stout and Pale Ale should be bottled in a few days.

Next brew in the pipeline is my first extract using crystal malt--an Amber Ale from AHS.
I'm hoping the weather cools by brewing day so I can run the thermostat a few deg. lower.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Back