How can I calculate what IBU I need in the wort if I top up with water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I know that one of the important things will be hop utilization factor but that is the easy part.

How do I know what IBU the wort should have if it gets diluted and I want to reach X IBU in the final product?

Say I brew a 2 gallon batch and top it up with 1 gallon of water....the IBU should be at 40 after the fermentation, but what is the IBU in the 2 gallon wort before dilution?

I know that one of the important things will be hop utilization factor but that is the easy part.

How do I know what IBU the wort should have if it gets diluted and I want to reach X IBU in the final product?

Say I brew a 2 gallon batch and top it up with 1 gallon of water....the IBU should be at 40 after the fermentation, but what is the IBU in the 2 gallon wort before dilution?

You can calculate the IBUs with brewing software, unless you have a way to have them testing.

Say your software says you have 50 IBUs in 2.5 gallons. And you add 2.5 gallons of water (0) IBUs. You've reduced the IBUs by 50%, via dilution, for 25 IBUs.

You can calculate the IBUs with brewing software, unless you have a way to have them testing.

Say your software says you have 50 IBUs in 2.5 gallons. And you add 2.5 gallons of water (0) IBUs. You've reduced the IBUs by 50%, via dilution, for 25 IBUs.

Hey Yooper. Thanks for stopping by. :)

I use an excel sheet to calculate such things. Ok...so it is a straightforward dilution process which is linear?

Back