Loose Cannon Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vellum

Reaction score
Hi,

I am formulating a recipe for Loose Cannon, a beer brewed by Heavy Seas. I looked at their website and found this:

Our flagship beer, Loose Cannon wins people over at first smell. The carefully cultivated interplay of Simcoe, Palisade, and Centennial creates a most fragrant IPA—its nose bursts with notes of grapefruit, herbs, and pine. Bitterness is somewhat subdued by the floral quality that pervades the taste. The color is burnished gold, and the mouthfeel is creamy. A strong malt backbone balances out the triple-hopped beer. Its nickname, Hop3, comes from the brewing process: our brewers hop Loose Cannon in the boil, the hopback, and the fermenter. It won a second place CAMRA award at the 2010 Great British Beer Festival.

Style: American IPA
ABV: Approx. 7.25%
IBUs: 45
Availability: Year-round
Hops: Warrior, Simcoe, Palisade, Centennial
Malts: 2-Row, Caramalt, Munich

I also viewed this thread and this thread

I formulated this, it isn't meant to be exact but a close approximation.

6 Gallons
78% Efficiency
13.5 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 40L
1 lb Munich
Mash at 150 for 90 minutes (I BIAB and 90 minutes is my standard mash procedure)
FWH .25 oz Centennial 9%AA
FWH .25 oz Simcoe 13%AA
FWH .25 oz Warrior 15%AA
60 min .25 oz Warrior 15%AA
10 min 1 oz Centennial 9%AA
10 min 1 oz Simcoe 13%AA
1 min 1 oz Centennial 9%AA
1 min 2 oz Palisades 9.5%AA
1 min .75 oz Simcoe 13%AA
DH 1 oz Centennial 9%AA
DH 1 oz Palisades 9.5%AA

Hopville puts this recipe at OG 1.074, FG 1.018 and IBU 61.4 (Tinseth). I need a bit of help formulating the hoping schedule/amounts. Any advice or help is much appreciated. This doesn't have to be exactly like loose cannon but something reasonably close. I am also open to thoughts on the grain bill. I happen to have these amounts of grain on hand but I can always run down to the LHBS.

This is my first time formulating a recipe and really just looking for a sanity check as well as advice.

Thanks all!

Back down the ten min additions. They would add quite a bit of bitterness in flavor and smell.

So I realized I may have placed this thread in the wrong location. Could one of you nice mods please move it to the recipe/ingredients section?

Any last ideas on this? I'm thinking based on the above posts of moving the ten minute additions to 2 min additions and the 1 minute additions to whirlpool additions after chilling to 180 then holding for 30 min. Any thoughts?

Can't get it here but I've had one recently. I enjoyed it but don't remember it being so complicated in flavor. Now I want to try another one as your recipe looks so good. Might not be Loose Cannon but it's gonna be good.

Never tried Loose Cannon but I personally like your 10 min additions (I love hops...) and I personally wouldn't put them any later than 5 mins if you were to move them. Just one guys opinion though. Your recipe looks tasty!

Well thank you kindly. With your votes of confidence I think I'll brew close to how it is but may do a whirlpool hop as well just for the fun of it. I'll post back on how it went.

It is a smooth beer but I don't think I've ever picked up a lactose taste in it. Could possibly be there though.

Latest posts

Back