Honey added to extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankedhank

Reaction score
Hey I'm about to start my second homebrew batch. The first one turned out great, it was a truebrew amber kit. I am using the same kit for my next batch but I want to make it a little different by adding honey. I would appreciate any advice/ tips on how to do so for a 5 gallon extract batch. Thanks!

Honey is basically glucose,so it pretty well ferments out. for some honey flavor,you could try 8oz of honey malt steeped at 155F for about 30 minutes. They say the honey flavor is more intense when mashed though.

Like unionrdr said, honey ferments almost completely out of your brew. This will leave you a little drier than the original kit had intended, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. If your looking for a good bit of honey flavor try steeping some 'Gambrinus Honey Malt'. I'd say go for adding some honey though, homebrewing is all about experimentation, and who doesn't like a homebrew with a little higher ABV :drunk:?

Cheers! :mug:

Andrew

You will get whatever florals made the honey if you add the honey at flameout, e.g., right after the boil is complete. Like everyone else said, you don't want to add more then 0.5-1.0 lbs of honey or else you'll dry out your beer and throw your ABV balance out of wack.

Honey Malt is definitely a better way to go if you want honey flavor in your beer.

I did this recently and used a buckwheat honey. I used 1# for a 3 gallon batch and it raised the % by about 1.5%. I honestly did not get much of a honey flavor. The beer turned out well though.

Back