Brewmaster game?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyhead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking to feel this out before I put too much more effort into this but would anybody out there play a brewmaster simulation game? The general idea would be just like most of the tycoon games out there where you can build your beer empire by building a brewery piece by piece, but would also encompass recipe formulation, techniques and processes, real-world data on beer markets, etc.

The basic setup would run like this:
-You start off as a homebrewer with a basic beer kit
-You build recipes within a program like ProMash or Beer Alchemy
-You can brew and submit beers to competitions, receiving cash and prizes in return for winning brews
-I want the program to actually calculate what would be a style accurate winning brew (as much as possible) by comparing your recipes to winning recipes and style guidelines, and by including items and techniques classically required of each style. It will also include variables for process adjustments, mash/fermentation temp variations, equipment quality, and so forth.
-The problem is accounting for the intangibles derived from ingredient interactions, personal techniques, etc
-As you progress as a homebrewer, you can eventually become a pro brewer, opening either a brewery or brewpub.
-You choose where to set up based on real world market data like state/county excise tax, local regulations (like whether you can self-distribute), regional beer preferences and market saturation, etc.
-You can set up marketing campaigns, host competitions, etc.
-Essentially I want it to encompass all aspects of both home brewing and pro brewing without the mess of actually cleaning out a mash tun

What I'm looking to find out is what kind of market there might be for a game like this. If anyone would be interested or has comments/suggestions, let me know.

Thanks!

Beersmith has those little sliders that show how well the beer matches the style guidelines, except that it's actually quite easy to make a beer that hits dead center of all the sliders, but tastes nothing like a beer of that style.

I think if you really wanted people to learn the style, you'd have to put in quite a bit of expert knowledge about each individual style.

Right, that's what I was afraid of, too hard to capture what the final product actually tastes like. Hopefully using grain bill and hop incidence and proportion data as found in Designing Great Beer or by comparison to actual award winning recipes would help narrow things down a bit.

It's a game.

I don't wanna have to be bogged down in the minutia of creating the perfect tasting recipe. IMO as long as it hits the style guidelines you should be able to progress in the game. I'm gonna lose interest pretty quickly if I'm gonna be stuck in the homebrewer level forever.

Plus, being successful in business doesn't necessarily mean that you've created the perfect product. There's marketing involved, location selection and all that jazz.

Well it sounds a great idea to me and a great tool for teaching people about brewing and beer. The only problem would be the amount of time, and Imi guessing many thousand hours writing code to simulate all aspects to an acceptable level. Maybe Im wrong but I think it will become one of those things where there would need to be a lot of people working on it to make it just that bit better and more realistic but if it were bugged making it too easy it then wouldn't be worth playing. What is your approach to making the game?

At this point just feeling things out, but the overall plan would be mainly to write out the proposal, detail out the minutiae and submit it to a company that actually makes games to see if they would pick up on it.

There is a farming game with the same basic idea. I think it was a John Deere sponsored thing. Google it. Might help.
I think it's an interesting idea.

TrooperThorn said:
I'm very interested also. When does the Internet-flavored beer arrive?

:)

Lol I brew a fork bomb SMaSH Pale Ale with Marris Otter and UK Kent Goldings. Mmm... Recursive...

Download biertycoon

Worst game ever. Especially when you don't know which keys do what or how to actually not go broke.

I wouldnt pay 5 cents for it but found it on an old laptop from my "naughty" days.

And if it doesn't end up with you being reasonably rich, while your brewmaster cries with every batch of fruited hard seltzer you force him to brew, I'm going to yell "Unrealistic!"

And if it doesn't end up with you being reasonably rich, while your brewmaster cries with every batch of fruited hard seltzer you force him to brew, I'm going to yell "Unrealistic!"
Idk why i cant make a pastry stout conditioned on root beer barrel candy and aged in cotton candy lined barrels

Latest posts

Back