Single Tier Brew Stand Materials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
I am in the midst of planning out my single tier brew stand and I wonder what materials people use. I've settled on steel but I can decide on a size. What is the smallest that people use reliably? Angle or square or tube? So many variables...

1.25", 1.5", 2", thinnest wall and cheapest you can get your hands on.
4 big removable casters

-=Jason=-

mine is 1" square tube and it doesn't budge under ten gallon batches...it doesn't look tough, but it is.

I built mine out of 2". I like the beefy looks of the stand, plus I figured that some day I may want to upgrade to a 1 barrel system. So I built it big enough, and strong enough to last me forever.

After building mine with angle, I'd never do it again whether the materials were free or not. It's a lot easier to grind bad welds when they are all on the outside. I'd go with 1.5" square tube. 1/16" wall, i.e. 16 gauge. Easy welding with a MIG.

I'll 2nd what Bobby said. Angle is cheap, but it is a pain. It's also stiffer in some axes than others so my rig is ever so slightly warped. If I were to do it over again i'd use square tubing.

mine is 1" square tube and it doesn't budge under ten gallon batches...it doesn't look tough, but it is.

Do you know what gauge it is? I am leaning toward 1" 16 ga square tube as opposed to the 1.5" suggested by Bobby to try and save some money and make it a little easier to move around but I don't want it to be dangerous.

Back